Honoring the commitment and talents provided by our athletes, we will recognize their personal contributions by providing a letter of achievement or letter of participation for the cross country runners.
The system we will use for lettering will based on points earned throughout the season and off-season. It encourages one to develop healthy “off-season” preparation to enhance our cross country program. In addition it encourages the athlete to strive to increase their personal best results and challenge other team members to pursue their best.
To achieve a letter an athlete must earn 11 points along with attending practices and meets, and complete the season in good standing.
Points can be earned in the following manner:
- 1 pt. Varsity runner per meet
- .5 pt. Junior varsity runner per meet
- .5 pt: JV runner out running (time performance) a varsity runner
- 1 pt.: Placing in the upper 60 % of a race in 90% of the meets (based on varsity race)
- 1 pt.: individually winning a race, varsity or jv
- 1 pt.: a top 10 finish at conference meet, including JV 2 pts: participating at Districts
- 5 pts: participating at State
- 1 pt. :keeping a summer running log (300 miles) (add an additional pt. for 400 mile plus)
- 1 pt. for attending a running camp
- 1 pt. for summer strength training –100% attendance. 1-4 pts: for each year of participation
An injured runner who lettered the previous year may still earn a letter upon recommendation of the coach.
Letter winners in all cases will be determined by the head coach.